Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Architectural Influence

I find it hard to accept that the architectural work that inspired me to pursue this field was in fact a boring display home. It was a simple 2 storey brick and tile, but with one main difference; it had a basement garage. Due to my love of cars I thought this was an amazing idea. Ten years later and I still try to incorporate that idea into as many of my designs as I can. However, I can’t bring myself to display a picture of a Ita Buttrose cheesily grinning in front of a Kellyville ‘display home, ’ so instead, the picture I have chosen, represents the style of architecture I am most fond of; that being renovated warehouses. I think the reason I love this particular style is because I've always enjoyed knowing how things work, and I am forever pulling my possessions apart and putting them back together to get a greater understanding of their working. That’s what warehouses showcase; they show “the workings” of the building; they treat water pipes and air ducts as works of art, and highlight imperfections in brickwork; It goes against what architecture traditionally encompasses.

No comments: